Arctic Divide Blog
Tips & More
Good to know
Many wayward travelers have found themselves in for surprises along our highway, some welcoming surprises and some not so exciting! We encourage you to take a read to help prepare yourself for the journey through our isolated and remote area so that you can fully enjoy your experience! Contact us for any questions you may have and we can help prepare your trip with you! If nothing else, at least read the red! You will be grateful you did!
Bring a Camera
And a lot of battery power! Our highway is majestic with absolutely stunning views at every pullout, as well as wildlife waving at you from the side of the road!
About the Wildlife
And more about the Wildlife
The highway is 7 hours long from either Terrace/Smithers or Whitehorse. Even longer if taking the Alaska Highway through Fort Nelson area. PLEASE BE RESTED! One of our biggest accident causes is drivers falling asleep at the wheel.
The entire road is paved, save about .5 of a kilometer North of the town Iskut. It is very well maintained but on a steeper grade, so it helps to have gravel for grip for the trucks during the winter.
No Cell Service
Use Spot Device
Our Gas Station
Dease Lake gas station usually closes quite early, around 7 p.m.-8 p.m. There is often no restaurant open during the winter and limited even in the summer. We do have a great grocery store, however, when that closes there is nowhere to get food. We have a kitchen here at the lodge, so you are encouraged to at least travel with a little bit of something for food in case you miss the store.
Derek and Sofija Ingram
We figured since our exquisite area of the wild had so much to offer, why wouldn’t we? Beyond the cozy beds, we also provide a long list of “Sure we can do that!”.
We have had the opportunity to help folks with their motorbike trip planning, host unique wedding parties, and host and assist in organizing some epic events in our area!
Don’t be scared to ask us for any unique or strange request; we have heard them all! Again, whatever you think of or need assistance with, we can help find a way to make it happen for you!
If we can not provide what you are looking for, our local knowledge and connections will be tapped into, and we will do our best to get you where you need to go!
See our offerings that may help you!
- Assist in planning trips for folks that may not be aware of the distances between our Province (and oh those distances can be vast)!
- Host the many cycling and motorbike rallies and fundraising groups; such as Texas 400!
- Hosted and co-organized the unveiling and testing of Monaco-based “Venturi” snowcat, including hosting astronaut Chris Hadfield, Prince Albert II of Monaco, and many dignitaries from the Explorers’ Club and head of the Antarctica Science Station!
- Shuttled adventurers to and from their starting points; such as hauling canoe and people to the launch points, and picking them up at end of trip. We can store your vehicle here as well during that time!
- Held events and meetings at the lodge!
- Bed Bale and Breakfast for the four-legged larger animals that can not fit into your room. We have a full barn and fenced area on the acreage. Please refer to our Bed Bale and Breakfast information under “Details” on the room pages!
- We can assist with motorbike and bicycle repair and minor other repairs as we have a small shop on site and Derek is an epic mountain biker with tools to fix the many mishaps he has encountered along the way!
- We do courtesy conversations to your spouses and families who often call as they did not know there was no cell service for 7 hours (refer to our Travelers’ Tips page) and are contemplating filing missing person reports at this point! We can usually hold them off for about 3-4 more hours after explaining the no cell service situation!
- We have hosted many a wonderful performer, as we fully support the Home Routes Concert Tours! Providing awesome singers an intimate lodge setting, and our guests with entertainment and delicious snacks for the evening!